Propanediol (also called 1,3-propanediol) is a glycol with the chemical formula C3H8O2, clear liquid, hydrophillic with light odor,. It can be produced from propylene oxide or naturally derived from corn. Since propanediol can be produced from a natural source, it is used as an alternative to petroleum-derived glycols like propylene glycol, butylene glycol or glycerin. This is a common ingredients in organic cosmetics with the usage level of 1-10%.
Functions in cosmetics
- Propanediol functions as an emollient, humectant and solvent.
- Propanediol has the ability to soften and soothe the skin, forms an occlusive film on the surface of skin that prevents water loss. Product that contains propanediol are an excellent choice for dry skin conditions.
- Propanediol also functions as a humectant, makes the skin smooth and supple as well as slows down the aging process.
- This is an useful ingredient for hair care products such as shampoo, conditioner, leave on conditioners or styling aids. It provides a cleaner feeling after rinsing while increasing moisturization, improving detangling, reducing static, improving wet and dry combing.
- Propanediol is considered to be an excellent solvent for harder to dissolve ingredients, such as salicylic acid, ferulic acid, allantoin and ascorbic acid. It provides a light, non-sticky, slightly dry skin feel.